Thursday, May 21, 2009

Modernism

I was told that I could talk about what is Modern, but I already had the content in which I was going to post in again my reinvention of this blog. So I will put 2 simple theories what Modernism is and feel free to comment what Modernism means to you.

Modernism is what science and it's achievements have created the manifestation of progress so to live still in pre modern conditions is to be regressive and immature. Modernism is progression.

Modern art is a defiance of all existing institutions and the creation of their works. To be Modern is to belong to no existing institution.

"I do not belong to any school, I simply want to do something that is personal to myself" -- Pierre Bonnard




Dan Flavin



I never gave Dan Flavin a chance to keep my mind open to what his works are. There are certain things I hear about being show in galleries and museums and when I heard he used florescent lights as sculpture. I thought are you kidding me. Anything can be considered art these days. I reluctantly went to the Modern Art museum in Fort Worth on my lunch to see this so called sculptures. I just gasped at this wonderful sight I see. The glowing atmosphere that they create made butterflies in my stomach it's so beautiful it's only something you can experience for yourself. Pictures really just doesn't do it justice. Just the tiniest of glow can take over the room. It made me feel like a kid exploring every piece on my own. I had to come back again on Sunday to really take it all on my own time.



"One might not think of light as a matter of fact, but I do. And it is, as I said, as plain and open and direct an art as you will ever find."
-Dan Flavin, 1987.





and in my own modern defiance. I have my own pictures of the exhibit.






Fernando Vicente




Fernando Vincente has blown my mind the first time I saw his work. My lack of understanding the Spanish language hasn't kept me from being intrigued by him either. Born and currently resides in Madrid, Spain he started out doing painting and illustrations in the 80's. He also mixes photographs and paint. You can see his illustrations in numerous publications.



His work of series called Vanitas is what pulled me in. The Illustrations of the exposed ligaments muscles and bones of the beautifully poised models. It is so disturbing at first to see this exposed but the calm serenity of their faces speaks to me in a romantic sullen way. It's as if the women are showing that there is so much more to them that underneath the clothes and skin are complexities that are not shown. So they are pulling back the flesh to give us their vulnerability and truth. I very much love the playfulness of his pin-ups and characterization how easily he can flow from serious to fun to thought provoking.

You can enjoy more at :

Fernando Vicente

Fernando Vicente Blog


Pierre Huyghe




Oh where to start with Pierre Huyghe. I got to experience Les Grands Ensembles in person at his One Million + Kingdoms exhibit at the Fort Worth Modern Art Museum and it was amazing! I was lucky to sit alone on this little bench and watch this video installation take place. I was so engulfed it was like I was a peeping tom on this conversation between two buildings. It was like time didn't exist. I could have watched it loop over and over again, but there was so much more I wanted to see.




Mainly Huyghe recycles text and imagery to explore how content is derived and interpreted within our culture. In doing so he deconstructs meaning and creates another dimension to the original text and image's reality and to it's fiction.




Pierre Huyghe mixes fact and fiction, reversing the real to upset traditional expectations of how art is perceived. His strength lies in his understanding that an image always comes with baggage.(nicholas bourriaud http://www.tate.org.uk/tateetc/issue7/pierrehuyghe.htm)

Pierre Huyghe

1 comment:

Beth said...

Wow - this post was like a trip to the museum. I was immersed, and now I feel more tingly and alive. Great success! Thanks Andria! I'm gonna do it again now.